Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2011 Syllabus
for Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
and suggested (by me) textbooks for various topics:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra:
- Mean value theorems, Theorems of integral calculus, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial Derivatives, Maxima and minima, Multiple integrals, Fourier series. Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green's theorems.
Calculus And Analytic Geometry (9th Edition) | George Thomas & Ross Finney
- Differential equations:
- Complex variables:
- Probability and Statistics:
- Numerical Methods:
- Transform Theory:
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronic Devices:
- Energy bands in silicon, intrinsic and extrinsic silicon. Carrier transport in silicon: diffusion current, drift current, mobility, and resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers. p-n junction diode, Zener diode, tunnel diode, BJT, JFET, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, p-I-n and avalanche photo diode, Basics of LASERs.
Electronic Circuits: Analysis and Design | Donald Neamen
- Device technology:
- Analog Circuits:
- Small Signal Equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs and analog CMOS.
- Simple diode circuits, clipping, clamping, rectifier.
- Biasing and bias stability of transistor and FET amplifiers.
- single-and multi-stage, differential and operational, feedback, and power. Frequency response of amplifiers. Simple op-amp circuits. Filters. Sinusoidal oscillators; criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and op-amp configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits,
- 555 Timers.
- Power supplies.
- Digital circuits:
- Boolean algebra, minimization of Boolean functions; logic gates; digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinatorial circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers, decoders, PROMs and PLAs. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift-registers. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs, DACs. Semiconductor memories.
Digital Design: Principles And Practices (4th Edition) | John Wakerly
- Signals and Systems:
- Control Systems:
- Basic control system components; block diagrammatic description, reduction of block diagrams.
- Open loop and closed loop (feedback) systems and stability analysis of these systems.
- Signal flow graphs and their use in determining transfer functions of systems; transient and steady state analysis of LTI control systems and frequency response.
- Tools and techniques for LTI control system analysis: root loci, Routh-Hurwitz criterion, Bode and Nyquist plots.
- Control system compensators:
- State variable representation and solution of state equation of LTI control systems.
Digital Control: A State-Space Approach | Richard J. Vaccaro
- Random signals and noise:
- probability, random variables, probability density function
- autocorrelation, power spectral density.
- Analog communication systems:
- amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, spectral analysis of these operations, superheterodyne receivers; elements of hardware, realizations of analog communication systems; signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) calculations for amplitude modulation (AM) and frequency modulation (FM) for low noise conditions.
- Fundamentals of information theory and channel capacity theorem.
- Digital communication systems:
- pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM)
- digital modulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), matched filter receivers, bandwidth consideration and probability of error calculations for these schemes.
- Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA and GSM.